Spending much more time at home then you have ever been?
How are you utilizing this time?
Do you feel the day pass by just like that doing nothing?
You are not the only one who feels the same!
The whole world has come to a standstill. Ever imagined something as small as a virus can threaten the very existence of our world. This situation seems like a plot straight out of some movie, the only difference, this is all a reality!
Social distancing, social isolation, stay at home are the words you can see and hear everywhere. While staying at home is an absolute necessity to curb the spread of infection, at the same time staying at home all day, is a torturous experience for some.
If you are a full-time or part-time traveler or just somebody who is fond of traveling, I am sure you will agree with me.
In this uncertainty, it’s important to use your time and energy creatively, so you don’t lose your mind, stay motivated and all geared up for future adventures.
Here are a few ideas to spend your time without losing your interest on your travel goals.
Create a vision board of your Wish list–
Do you have a Wishlist of places to visit before you say goodbye to the world? If not, what are you waiting for? Do your research, check travel websites, blogs, travelers post and list down places you wish to visit once in your life. If possible create it visually with a collage of pictures. A vision board, you can see every day and imagine yourself being at all these places. Remember imagination is a powerful thing.
2. Update/Modify your Bucketlist – Before all this started, I had plans for Goa, Andaman, Singapore, and Malaysia in the first quarter itself. We had to cancel all of it( Except for Goa). Many of you would have gone through the same situation. Don’t lose hope. Modify your bucket list for the second half of the year, consider safer options. I would trade-off a trip to a touristy place with a local trekking experience or a not so crowded offbeat destination. Exploring lesser-known places is any day a great option. Idea is to keep the alternate plan ready and invest your time researching everything about those places, right from Hotels to best places to eat, to travel options and everything in-between. This makes you more aware and give you time to save by finding the best deal.
3. How about learning a new language – If your bucket list includes visiting a new country ( or a new state with a different language ), it’s a good idea to start learning that language right away. Knowing the local language always fun and gives you an added advantage especially in the foreign land. Many apps available these days to help you learn foreign languages. So get going now!
4. Let’s do some exotic cooking – Research says learning a new skill is one of the best ways to improve your memory and keep your brain healthy. And what is better than learning to cook some exotic recipes from the places you wish to travel. Bring out the chef in you and start experimenting, who knows you may surprise yourself.
5. Style your looks & outfits for your next trip – Take a closer look at your wardrobe and you may discover the hidden treasure. This always happens to me. Do you have the same story? Start planning your looks for the next trip. Get creative, mix and match your clothing to create interesting new combinations. After all, your appearance plays an important role in creating a desirable impression. Be it a business trip or a leisure one, dressing right not only creates a positive image but also uplifts your mood.
6. Movie time to inspire your wanderlust – This is the perfect time to do some binge-watching. Nothing can boost your mood like a good movie. They take you to places, fire your imagination and inspire your wanderlust. It also helps you switch off from all the worries for some time and help you relax. Watch out some of the best travel movies of all time and enjoy the magnificent view of the globe virtually. If mystery and suspense is your cup of tea, then check out these series on Netflix, enjoy the incredible view from multiple locations along with the nail-biting stories.
7. Read travel-related books – Probably the best time to catch up on some reading. Check out popular travel books, magazines on travel stories, browse through your favorite travel blogs for travel inspiration.
Ultimately remember, nothing lasts forever and this will also pass. In the meantime, let’s prepare ourselves and be ready with the plans to explore this beautiful world once again!
Do you have any other activity to add to? Do share it in the comment section!
like it! Save it for later!
48 thoughts on “Covid19 Breakout: How travelers can spend their time during lockdown”
Madhu your blogs are awesome. Love them. Definitely will create a wishlist of places i want to visit.
Madhu, really nice blog. I m really inspired to modify my bucketlist n trying to enhance my cullinary skills.
A friend of mine just recommended vagabonding! I need to read it! I have been getting into exotic cooking- super fun!
Wow that’s so awesome ..looking forward to see some cool recipes from you 😊 Soib
These are wonderful tips! I agree with updating the bucket list. I am over here dreaming of my next trip!
Thanks ..same here.looking for possible options now 😊
These are great tips! Gives us some good ideas to avoid complete boredom, and the recipe idea is a great one.
Thanks Heather,glad you liked it 😊
Some fab ideas on how to keep busy, I’ve watched so much Netflix! I signed up for a TEFL course yesterday which will be more productive and beneficial for me. Stay safe!
That’s so good.i am also looks ng for digital marketing course now
Lots of great tips! I have been doing a lot of things already myself, while in Lockdown. I also think it’s so important to keep that travel-lust going! 🙂
Nice and really helpful tips, I watched a lot of movies and definitely know about more countries to visit. Cannot wait to my next trip though
Some great ideas! I’m working on that new language!
I have definitely been doing number 2 and 6!!
I like the idea of creating a visual board, I always write down notes but I guess that using images is more powerful and helpful in these circumstances! Thanks for sharing it 🙂
Some lovely ideas here. We have a big six-month travel adventure planned…so for us it’s definitely #postponenotcancel – though depending on when it’s postponed to might change the look of the trip for us altogether. Creating a wishlist of boards is a good idea to keep us busy in the meantime.
A great idea to stay motivated, Madhu! Great post.
Great tips!! I’ve been watching a lot of travel movies and series so yass!!
Fortunately, I have lots to do at home, so mcy to catch up on. Thanks for sharing your interesting ideas.
These ideas are so great! I’ve been meaning to create a wish board for ages, thanks for reminding me! 🙂
Lovely post ! Reading travel related books is all I m doing at the moment 🙂 Thank you for sharing !
These are some great suggestions! I’ve been reconsidering (mainly adding a lot to) my wishlist and we’ve been cooking a lot of asian dishes too ^_^ Cannot wait to start travelling again once this is over!
You’ve got some great suggestions here! I particularly like the ones about learning a new language and prepping your travel outfits! 🙂
While I am sad to cancel all my traveling right now, I am excited to create a new bucket list and look ahead of us for something positive. Great post!
Great ideas. My bucket list is growing every day I’m at home. It’s just giving me more time to think about where I want to visit and what my first trip will be. I need to do something more productive like learn a language though. I just need to figure out where I want to go first
Yeah that’s so true..I am thinking about it too
what a bunch of great tips! mental health and keeping busy is an important as ever! thanku for sharing this
Thanks.glad you liked them
Many good ideas! Cooking dishes from the places we love or plan to visit is a good way to escape!!
Yeah I am planning to learn few new dishes
Amazing ideas, girly! I think I am going to try to learn a new language while at home.
Thanks dear .Wow that’s so nice.which language you are learning
Great ideas thanks. Another suggestion is to do virtual travel. A lot of places like museums, cities and game reserves can now be explored online.
I love these tips! It’s so hard on us travelers to stay put for so long. These are some really great ways for us to keep the hope and have something to look forward to!
Thanks.gkad you liked ked them
Great ideas! I’ve been trying so hard to not let this travel ban bum me out (and technically I am traveling as I’m living abroad haha)
Ha ha that’s a good one.keep it up..hope this is over soon 😊
I have an ever increasing number of travel shows and food related programmes to watch on Netflix. Cooking sounds like a very good idea too!
Thanks ..yes travel shows always motivate 😊😊
I’m definitely using this time to make my bucketlist even longer for when this is over! Always still dreaming of travel!
Thanks I m doing the same 😊
Great list, I’ve been doing a few of these already!
That’s awesome .thanks 😊
These are all pretty much exactly what I have been doing 😁 all great ideas, thank you!
Great tips Madhu. I am focusing on reading books I had on my list since over a decade (non travel), watching series on Netflix and adult coloring books 🙂 SOOO cool. Helping out at home and spending time with folks is also a blessing.
Great ideas! I love the vision board one 🙂
Some great tips there. I may have to tie on my apron and try cooking up a Spanish storm! Mel
Very nice post! I would just inject weed straight to my brain and enjoy my journey on a tree xD