Some movies make you laugh, Some make you cry, Some inspire, Some scare and than there are some that make you want to run away from your mundane routine to somewhere exciting!
Those movies generate a burning desire in you, to pack your bags and head off to the destination you always wished for or rather just saw in the movie.
Here’s list of my favorite travel movies. I am sure these will inspire your wanderlust too.
PS: this list is biased to a large extend towards movies showcasing off beat destinations, places with abundance of nature, breathtaking views and serenity.This is not an exhaustive list, I keep adding to it!
1) Secret life of Walter Mitty – Shot at some of the most breath taking and unseen locations (like Iceland, Afghanistan) this movie is complete feast to the eyes. Its a movie about a guy who dreams of having an action packed and adventurous life, but his real life & job is as boring and monotonous as it can get. When his job along with his co-worker are threatened, Walter sets on a global journey to find out the missing photo negative (by mysterious photographer) that’s required to be printed in the last edition of the magazine. This journey turns into an adventure more extraordinary than anything he could have ever imagined. Some of the scenes and amazing locations will leave you awestruck and dreaming. I quite liked some of the dialogues in the movie. Must watch!
2) Zindagi na milegi dobara – Haven’t all of us dream about spending a carefree vacation with our best buddies, leaving all the worries and deadlines aside.Well it’s a movie about 3 friends who take a bachelors trip to Spain. Trip and the sequence of events gives them a chance to bond with each other, mend fences, fall in love with life, in the mean time conquering their fears and emerging as a real winner. Adding to this incredible story are the beautiful locations shown during their road trip (Costa Brava, Seville, Bunol,Pamplona).
3) Letters to Juliet – This story is about a young American aspiring writer who travels to the city of Verona and joins a group of volunteers who respond to letters to Juliet seeking advice about love. When she answers one letter dated 1957, she inspires its writer to travel to Italy in search of her long-lost love. A sweet love story set on a beautiful backdrop of Italian countryside, vineyards and historic monuments.
4) A good year – Starring Russell Crowe, this movie features him as a busy investment banker who learns that his uncle has left him an ancestral home and vineyards at Provence. He visits the place with an intention to sell it but soon the beauty of countryside and old memories make him change his mind and fall in love with the place. It’s definitely a movie for vineyards and wine lovers.
5) Eat Pray Love – Probably one of the most famous and talked about travel movies. Based on Author Elizabeth Gilbert’s memoir from her trip around the world after her divorce. Protagonist (Julia Roberts) spends time in Italy, eating and enjoying life (“Eat”), discovering spirituality in India (“Pray”). And her journey ends in Bali, Indonesia where she finds love (“Love”). This movie inspired us to take a vacation to Bali 🙂
6) Queen – It’s truly a fun movie with a message. The movie shows how a simple timid girl transforms into a confident & independent person. Her life changes when She decides to go on her honeymoon alone after her fiancé calls off their wedding. Travelling alone around Europe, she makes new friends, discovers her true confident self and finds joy in the process. The aspect of how you meet strangers and make friends with them during travel is the part I liked the most.
7) Under the Tuscan Sun – I must say I am really biased in my liking towards the movies with vineyards and countryside. I liked this movie, not for the story (story is very common) but for the backdrop in which this movie is filmed. Tuscany lives up to all the hype that surrounds it and will surely make you want to settle in a small Italian village or atleast take a vacation to Italy
8) Mid night in Paris – Though I am not a great fan of art & literature but I liked this movie for beautifully showcasing Paris in both the modern era as well as 1920’s.This is a movie about a writer who is struggling to write his first novel and falls in love with Paris during his visit to the City with his fiancé. He gets transported to 1920’s every night while wandering on the streets of the “City of Lights” and meets some of the most famous artists and writers of that time.
9) Into the wild – This movie is based on a true story where a guy sets out on a road trip, Leaving everything behind to get in touch with the real life. After graduating from college, Christopher travels through the USA (without money) before ending up in Alaska. There are beautiful quotes in the movie. Below is the one that summarises it all
“There is a pleasure in the pathless woods; There is a rapture on the lonely shore; There is society, where non intrudes; By the deep sea, and music in its roar; I love not man the less, But Nature more’’
10) Wild – This movie is based on a book with the same name. Cheryl Strayed decides to start a new life by hiking along the along the 1100 mile-long Pacific Crest Trail despite a lack of hiking experience, in the course of her journey she discovers her true self.
Like it ! Pin it !